Tabs

Monday, January 18, 2016

"Everyone's lost but me" -Indiana Jones



Usually when I post Elder Peters letters I try to edit them for readability.  You will notice that there are places where I'm not doing a very good job of correcting his grammar, I'm doing that on purpose because he is starting to converse and write the way that Ghanaians talk and I want to leave that flavor in his letters.

In his other emails today we learned that:

He'll be training a new missionary, he'll get his new companion tomorrow.  Don't know anything about him yet.

He has not received a new bike yet, but says that he's enjoying walking because it gives him more time to talk to his companion and get to know him better.  

Mirror selfie...with his "Super-suit" on
Dear Family,


As a missionary, sometimes you find yourself wandering the streets of Kasoa and you notice that all the sudden things look different. You realize you have never been here before, and you aren't sure exactly where "here" is. This week with Brother Lago we were going out contacting and we "got lost" he asked me "Are we lost?" I said "Missionaries never get lost; they are just 'being led by the spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which they should do.'(1 Nephi 4:6) plus, we know the plan of salvation; most of these people we see don't so really everyone is lost but us." He got a good chuckle out of that. 
Dinner time. Spaghetti with bread and a big bowl of mangoes.

We have started to teach some new people. Henry is a guy who we ran into while we were walking to go get lunch and he stopped us (that’s usually a good sign) and he told us he had seen us before and met with some of our brothers but that he moved into this area and wanted to know where the church was. So we started to teach him this past week and we got all the way through to the book of Mormon. He is progressing really really well! He came to church this past Sunday. He is a super cool guy keep him in your prayers! Eddie (formerly Edmund in my emails) is also doing well. We are learning a lot with him and he is coming to church. This week Sis Oware and her husband and their 4 kids gave us a referral family that is the exact same as theirs. She told me though that I will have to go slow with them. So Bro Lago and I went over to meet them and we had fun. Later on Sunday Sis Oware told me that Sister Joyce (the mom) asked when we were coming again to pound fufu. So that’s a good sign. That first visit we just introduced ourselves and I told them a little about me and we cracked some jokes and I gave them a restoration pamphlet and asked her if she had any questions. She had some, but she seemed satisfied with the answers we gave her. So things are going well with investigators.

On Wednesday we were walking and I noticed this group of young boys about James' age arguing with each other. There were about 6 of them or so. As I got closer and overheard their conversation they were arguing about who was the fastest. I stopped and started to talk with them. I dropped my bag and grabbed a stick and drew a line in the road and had the first race I have had in a long time. It was so fun! I let several of them beat me which really made them smile but that was definitely one of the highlights of my week. I’m gonna try to have "races"' more often. 
Brother Lago and Elder Peters.  Notice that "Brother Lago" is wearing Elder Peters name tag so that he'll look more missionary-ish.
Brother Lago was my companion for this week and he is a super cool guy. He will be leaving on his mission with Boniface to Ivory Coast this march. He was an awesome companion and I will miss him. 

So in the past we have gone to this family that lives way out in the middle of nowhere in our area for family home evening every Tuesday. I got a call from Brother Obi (the father) that his wife was very sick and he was wondering if we could come help give her a blessing. So after church we walked out there (it takes about and hour and a half to walk there) and gave Sister Obi a blessing and administered the sacrament to her and her husband. I asked the Bishop before if it was OK, and he told me "thank you for asking him and helping the members of the ward". I learned something here. The members are also needing conversion. All of us are gradually becoming more and more converted to the Lord. When a missionary shows the ward leaders he is serving with that he wants to help them, not expect them to help him, they will also in turn do their best to help the missionary. Working with members can make the biggest difference for an area. If you help the members know you care about them and want to help them, your work as a missionary to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them enter into the waters of baptism and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" will be easy as the members care about you and want to help you. And the people that you help make this commitment will be STRONG members because their friends are members.

I will be teaching a brand new missionary starting tomorrow so keep him in your prayers! I don't know anything about him yet not even his name but I will tell you all about it next week!

I love you all a ton!

Love, Elder Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment