Tabs

Monday, June 6, 2016

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

Anyone who would like to send Elder Peters photos or letters please send them to brandon.peters@myldsmail.net  He loves to see what his friends are up to and who is getting mission calls.  Thanks!
Elder Peters Selfie at Black Star Square.


Dear Friends & Family,
Elder Prescott from Hawaii

This week I went on exchange with Elder Prescott (from Hawaii) and Elder Christopherson tagged along with us.
As we were out and about teaching we went to this guys house named Sadat. He is a cool guy but has been struggling with some things and seems to feel as though he is a victim of circumstance a lot. Elder Prescott and I shared several scriptures about agency and choice and we had talked the most in the lesson so we decided to let Elder Christopherson have some time. Totally serious he says, "There once was a young Jedi, who had a master teacher named Yoda who said: “Do or do not, there is no try”. We can really apply this advice into our lives..." he was completely serious as he said this and it was a very valid comment to the subject of the lesson, but Elder Prescott and I were struggling really hard not to bust up with laughter! Elder Christopherson is a great teacher, and I love how he uses all kinds of things to teach the gospel. It was a great reminder to me that the truths of the gospel can really be found everywhere. Sometimes I think that we forget that the best way to learn the gospel (from what I’ve noticed) isn't usually found in the Old Testament institute manual. I’ve noticed that we really don't have to look much further than some pretty ordinary things and people around us to learn how we can be more of the person God created us to become. After all we are constantly surrounded by his creations that are here just for us, and that is how the Savior taught.

 
Sister Pascaline's baptism.  Elder Christopherson, Elder Ferrin and Elder Peters in the back.

This week we baptized Pascaline. She reminds me of our ancestor (whose name slips my mind) that couldn't speak any English but joined the church because of what she knew and felt. It was awesome to watch Pascaline get baptized. Elder Christopherson did a great job; he’s good at baptizing people. Saturday we read through the Book of Mormon stories picture book and we read about Nephi getting tied up on the boat and then released. There’s a picture of him holding the liahona guiding his family and I said, "This is you! You’re Nephi!" You will be an example to your family forever and they have changed they are now happy! I pointed to the picture of Nephi and his family smiling and playing together. She has learned A TON of English since we started teaching her and is making a huge difference in the happiness of her family. I got an incredible feeling in that lesson. it was the same feeling I had when I was playing the guitar with Simon, the same feeling I had when I found out that Emmanuel Bondzie found missionaries in Germany after his baptism, the same feeling I had the first time I asked Robert Amissah if he had prayed about the book of Mormon and he had and said it was true. I truly have come to understand what D&C 18:15-16 says:"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! 16And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!"
Visiting Black Star Square.  Elder Friday, Elder Keddington, Elder Ferrin, Elder Fryer, Elder Peters (back)
Elder Christopherson, Elder Prescott, Elder Msomi (Front) and I'm not sure who the Elder in the middle is.

 Last week on our way home from the cafe we were on our bikes going to an FHE and Elder Keddington got hit by a tro-tro and got separated from the pack (he was fine btw no physical harm done) but he got lost. When we realized he wasn't behind us anymore I told everybody to stop and wait at this intersection on a main road. I said, "If he is still following us and got left behind, he will come up from this way, if he heads back to the apartment he will come from the other way. Either way he will pass this point I guarantee it." time passed, tensions got higher between me and his companion.
Elder Peters taking a break from riding his bike. I imagine this is what he looked like waiting for Elder Keddington
I told him it’s like hunting a deer, you can't just wander around the forest and expect to find it, eventually it will come to you. When two objects are moving they are less likely to run into each other. If one is stationary the other will eventually find the other. He decided that my 10 month old missionary advice wasn't valid and took off looking for his companion. About 3 minutes later Elder Keddington showed up right at the intersection. Then we had to wait for his companion to get back from his "search". I don't know what it is about me that people don't want to apply the words that come out of my mouth into their actions, but it sure is frustrating

On Wednesday Elder Fryar and Elder Msomi moved into their apartment in Mamprobi. Turns out that for whatever reason the mission had left the apartments windows open for weeks so everything in there was covered in dirt from the breeze. So we went there to help them clean up. When we got there we swept the floors and were looking around for where we could turn on the water. Elder Ferrin and I found it and turned it on and discovered that their apartment had a severe flooding problem. They couldn't have their sink on for more than 30 seconds without flooding the floor and having the water spill over into their room. So I told them to pack up and come back to our apartment to spend the night. Then I called Ben (the guy who is supposed to prepare these apartments in advance) Anyway, it was an adventure mopping up their apartment for a few hours and helping them try to get settled in. They are there and happy now. We will go on exchange with Elders Msomi and Fryar this coming Thursday to see how they are doing
The Piston and Motor used to "drive and pound" the fufu.  That is Elder Peters hand turning the dough...that is a dangerous job!

Elder Ferrin and Elder Christopherson eating the fufu with what looks like goat stew.

I drove and pounded fufu for the first time yesterday. Sister Rosemary didn't think that I could do it, but I totally could! I need a lot more practice and a shorter stick, but I’m going to drive fufu at my house soon I think. maybe I will do it for Sunday dinner.

I love you guys a ton!

Love, Elder Peters





No comments:

Post a Comment