Tabs

Monday, February 20, 2017

"Nice outfit, did your boyfriend buy that for you?" - The Amazing Spiderman


Dear Family & Friends,

Just finished washing clothes and stuff, now we are café-ing. This will be my last week with Elder Tohouri, I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also going to miss him a TON.

 
Elder Peters once wrote that a mission is "a lot of hellos and goodbyes" Elder Tohouri has been a great companion and he will be missed.



Elder Tohouri and I have a lot of fun every day.   We had nobody show up to church for the 4th week in a row and we spent a lot of time biking from one failed appointment to another, but we had a LOT OF FUN doing it!

So yeah…sometimes mission has rough patches, and the work isn't going the way you want it to despite your best efforts, but there are still some great moments. Like on Wednesday when we came back from a district meeting to drop off some stuff at our apartment and grab some lunch and there's a stark naked mad man having a serious conversation with the tree in front of your house. This guy had a huge beard and all the goats that usually hide themselves under the tree for shade from the heat of the afternoon hesitantly watched this guy from a distance waiting for him to find another inanimate object to debate with so they can return to their hang out spot. I wanted to take a picture, but didn't for obvious reasons...

 
I tried to find a photo of goats under a tree in Ghana and found this! Apparently Ghanaian goats can also climb trees?

This week as I was reading my book of Mormon I came across a really cool scripture in Nephi chapter 17ish. (I was looking for the exact reference but I can't find it.) But Nephi basically says if I hadn't prayed about the vision that my father had, and then seen it myself I would have wanted to return to Jerusalem. And it also reminded me of something similar that Joseph smith said about how if he had not seen the things he had (referring to the first vision) he wouldn't have believed them himself. I know that sometimes it’s difficult to accept the truth or reality of a situation, especially when we can't "see" God's hand in it. Having the faith to ask him to help you understand, even if it that understanding doesn't come until later (like Nephi); will give you the strength to carry on. I have felt that a lot this week in trying to raise up our area.


Elder Tohouri and I had the opportunity to travel to the Ofankor Ward this past Sunday and visit them. Elder Tohouri served there for 9 months and asked President if he could go there and say goodbye to all of his recent converts and friends there before he went home and President said that he could. It was fun to go to their ward and feel the welcome and friendliness of meeting new members.


Another missionary posted this photo of some kids in Ofankor playing soccer in the street.
While we were there we went to the Valiant 9 class (Elder Tohouri used to teach them) and the teacher was really kind and friendly. A little kid in the class asked a question that made me laugh and think of Mom and all the time she’s spent in primary. The girls name is Gloria and we were talking about the restoration of the priesthood and the teacher held up the picture of John the Baptist conferring the Aaronic Priesthood upon Joseph Smith and Gloria asked, "um I learned that when we resurrect we become young and healthy, why is John the Baptist so old?" The teacher was stunned. Me and Elder Tohouri were laughing and the teacher said “uhhh I don't really know maybe the elders can help us”... so we had to explain that it was just a painting, not for sure.

Things are good. I did 600 push-ups this week. I’m trying to get to 1000, but small small. 

I love you guys a ton! 

Love, Elder Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment